Topics

Very provisional 2017 dates

Alan Flockhart

Morning,    Looking at dates for the 2017 league and throwing the following out there.   I’ve tried to avoid the bank holiday weekends / Easter weeks but please shout if anything looks out of place.    I’ll be checking with sites over the next month or so to see what dates are available for the events.

I realise there are also plans to dovetail with the Dutch / Belgian events and we can try and work together to move dates to suit but wanted to get a stake in the sand.

We will try and do 3-4 training events over the Nov – March period….   Weather dependant J

23 April - League 1 -

14 May - League 2 -

18 June - League 3 -

15/16 July - League 4 – Eurotour (location TBC)

6 August – League 5

26-28 August – Nats? – League 6

24 September - League 7

15 Oct – League 8?   Possibly too many?

In terms of sites we have used the following in the past.   Thinking we need 3 or so in the Wetlands / Grantham type of area to accommodate the “Northern” flyers J

·         Warboys – Likely first location.

·         Haddenham

·         Hawling – Likely last location if available

·         Wetlands

·         BMFA Site Near Grantham – if available

·         Edgcott

·         South East (For Eurotour)

Does anyone know of other sites which would suit a comp?

Questions / Comments

Cheers

Alan

Steve Burns

Looks good although I'd be a little nervous of the last one being so late in the year, low sun, less daylight hours etc. Maybe just have six or seven comps but plan the calendar so we can go to Gerben/Luc's comps to get the number of comps flown up?

We'll talk to the farmer at Hawling but would suggest the late September date is always going to be best there.

For the up north venues can I suggest those who live that way find suitable field and we'll show up and run the comp. I'm happy to travel up north for a comp but if the locals can't come up with a field then the comps will be down south so over to you��

Steve B

On 1 Sep 2016, at 08:20, 'Alan Flockhart' alan@... [f5b_uk] <f5b_uk@...> wrote:

[...]

jjmouris

The advantage of the Dutch/Belgian comps is that you potentially get 8 rounds in over two days in two different locations. As far a training goes, that's better then visiting one of our comps. As such, I would plan on just 5-6 league events as I can't commit to being away more.

On 1 Sep 2016, at 08:40, Steve Burns steve.burns@... [f5b_uk] <f5b_uk@...> wrote:

[...]

baldyslapnut

I would suggest we use Edgcott for comps and Haddenham for practice.

We can also ask David from the F5D guys if we can use his field at Wootton Bassett if that brings new people into focus.

Edgcott would be happy with two comps.

We should use the last one as a reserve date.

Like Steve W and Jos are keen to do the Dutch/Belgium dates plus two Euro Tour dates beyond  our event.

Greg

On 1 Sep 2016, at 09:36, Josef Mouris jjmouris@... [f5b_uk] <f5b_uk@...> wrote:

[...]

richard.whitehead@btopenworld.com

The dates look OK to me, but the last (October) one may suffer from short daylight hours – perhaps a reserve date only, or possible practise/training day.

We seem to have lots of sites down this way and really could do with some more further north, but no idea how to find them.

Dick

[...]

·         < /span>BMFA Site Near Grantham – if available

·         Edgcott

·         South East (For Eurotour)

Does anyone know of other sites which would suit a comp?

Questions / Comments

Cheers

Alan

baldyslapnut

Wetlands was good and the new BMFA site may be available

Greg Lewis

[...]

Agreed, very conscious over the last 4-5 years we have moved well south.

Calling Tony/Tony/Mark/George any fields up North you guys think we could fly at?

Greg - do you have any contact details for that field you mentioned?

2017 will be the team qualification for 2018 WC hence we need a sensible number of events (would suggest 6 min) are required with enough pilots attending.

I heard from Willy that the Belgians don't confirm dates until a meeting in Jan hence they will need to slot around our dates or we likely wont have any sites available.  I think NL do something similar.

We also need to be conscious that we still support the UK league.  F3B I think went to the wall this year.  If people attend the Benelux events in favour of UK events F5B could go the same way.

I'll work with Mike P 're getting Wetlands booked on 2 of the dates.

Sent from my phone.

[...]

Tony Wilson

Alan

Our milkman/Farmer says I can go down and fly anytime on the Pegs lane field.

Just need to get my feet through the door and get a couple of flights in down there.
Then maybe as an intro to the place, if a few of us went down for a practise day.
A couple of you are welcome to stop over at my house Saturday night to make it a weekend, but we ain't posh.

Similarly with the F5D / F3D site at Garstang, Paul B. said I can come along with a model and Introduce myself to the landowner so they know what they are dealing with. The next race day there is 17/18th September,
I was away for the last one, see what I can do.

Tony W.

On 1 September 2016 at 16:54, alan@... [f5b_uk] <f5b_uk@...> wrote:

[...]

On David's field. It is early days. I hope to pop down and see the field in the next two weeks and let you know. It is supposed to very good.

Location is Wotton Bassett just off the M4.

Greg Lewis

[...]

George Shering

I favour Wetlands for the events up North. It is fine for the other northeners I think, and just about in driving distance for me. We used it almost exclusively for many long years.
I would suggest 3 events at Wetlands and three down south. Then others such as the Nationals and European events to fill out the numbers.
George.

[...]

That's fine by me as long as we only need to fly 3 events to qualify for the team. So best 3 scores count just like the Eurotour.

If I can make it to more, I will but I don't want it forced on me as it's impossible to get the time off work as well as child care.

The alternative is I miss out on going to Japan and fly for the Netherlands in 2020.

[...]

Here we go again, could we hold all the UK national events close to Southampton please as it suits Jos a bit more than others!

[...]

If Tony could get his location working that would be great. All Scots go to Blackpool for the September weekend anyway! I seem to remember there is a motel just opposite.
George

On 1 September 2016 at 20:00, Steve Burns steve.burns@... [f5b_uk] <f5b_uk@...> wrote:

[...]

You could read George's mail as Wetlands is great for me. I know my way there. So no change please.

It cuts both ways.

Having helped find a number of the fields we use. We need a bit of a step back.

Where are there good fields that provide high quality comps? Can we get access? Not always straight forward.

If we use them does it give a balanced split of travel?

All decisions on the league and how it is run has in my mind  always been made assuming all pilots are equal stake holders regardless of their halo factor.

Greg Lewis

[...]

Ok all events at Warboys then :)

We will try and even the locations out around the country as much as possible depending on field availability hence getting in early so f5j etc haven't grabbed all weekends.
I don't think we have any "bad" fields.  Obviously better weather does have an impact on perceptions but don't think we have figured out how to control that yet!

@Josef - the current BMFA team selection rules are 3 from 5 / 4 from 6 events etc. As they have always been...   Have a review of the rules for the league scoring on bmfa site.

Sent from my phone.

[...]

Wetlands is 315 miles drive for me. It is a compromise. I think it is less from Cambridge and Southhampton. Far be it from me to impose a northern location. It is just that it is the BMFA glider site, bookable through the SFTC. I have a good site, next to Alan's parents in law and Leuchars air base in Fife. We looked into it for a World Championship but the weather conditions are too unpredictable. Tony's Blackpool site would be great.
George

On 1 September 2016 at 20:29, Greg Lewis baldyslapnut@... [f5b_uk] <f5b_uk@...> wrote:

[...]

Steve, I honestly don't see your point. I didn't complain about the distance!

The closest competition for me has been Haddenham at 1:30 drive. Wetlands at 3:45 is the furthest. There have been no comps further south (closer to me) other then maybe that one time we used Middle Wallop for a eurotour. Cambridge isn't easy for me either as it's other side of London and then some. All of this I can live with, except it has to be for a good reason (fair spread of driving for all competitors). How far is it for Tony W and Mark to wetlands vs Haddenham? Scotland is another country right?

However the main point is I can not guarantee the time off work as I am limited by the way Flybe do their scheduling. I don't have Sunday's off by default like most others. I need to give up a weeks holiday (the wife loves that) to be split up in 5 individual days (I loose 4 days off) so that I can go to the league events. I then put requests in for anything else and get lucky some of the time.

It's a huge stress buying planes and training only to find I can't make it to enough comps to qualify. I don't think that is fair. Specially when you consider that some other countries select their team in 1 event or just 3.

[...]

One point to note is the sftc will be going through any rule optimisations for the UK leagues in about 6 weeks time.   If there are any suggested modifications to f5b or inter rules please let me know so they can be discussed and submitted. That includes the way the team is selected.
Btw these are British leagues not only England!  IIRC George used to fly in from Geneva to qualify for the team.

We could also go the German route and do the quali over 2 years.....
Sent from my phone.

[...]

Fine by me.

Nice field. Pretty equal distance for most pilots apart from Alan with a home advantage.

Greg Lewis

[...]

How does the German system work.

Greg Lewis